Housing for Families
Located in Elmira, across from the Human Resources Building on Powell Street, LaFrance Apartments features 37 one-bedroom apartments with kitchen and spacious living-dining area. Heat, electric and hot water are included with rent. On-site laundry, computers, and a common room are also available. LaFrance is close to the bus line, restaurants, a pharmacy, and social services.
Four apartments are fully wheelchair accessible, two units are for the hearing/visually impaired, and all apartments are handicapped visitable or adaptable.
All residents have access to Catholic Charities’ Samaritan Emergency Services Center, located two blocks away, when in need of short term supports including food, clothing, and other emergency services.
All apartments are smoke-free.
LaFrance Apartments is currently under construction and expected to be completed in the fall of 2020. Tenants were selected on a random basis through the use of an application lottery (for 17 units).* See the Applications section below for details. Additional information may be found at NYHousingSearch.gov
• Intercom entry system & elevator access
• Energy Star refrigerator, stove and dishwasher
• Laundry facilities on each floor
• Wired for cable TV & telephone
• Central air conditioning
• Heat, hot water and electric included with rent
• Individually controlled heat & electric
• Community room with TV and computer workstations
• Free off-street parking and tenant storage
• Fire alarm and sprinkler systems
• Smoke-free housing
• On-site case management support for ESSHI residents
• CTRAN bus routes are within one block
• Rent for Family Housing is $641
• Rent for ESSHI referrals is 30% of gross income
At initial project rent-up, no unit may be leased to a household that would be paying housing costs (basic rent plus the allowance for tenant-paid utilities) which are less than 25%, or more than 48% of that household’s income.
• All information on income and assets provided by applicants must be verified prior to occupancy. This qualification and certification process must also be completed annually upon renewal.
• Security deposit is equal to one month’s rent.
• Assistive animals for persons with a disability are accepted.
• This is a non-smoking community. Smoking is not allowed in any apartment or common area or within 50 feet of the buildings.
• Residency is limited to households (HH) below 50% of the Annual Median Income (AMI). Other occupancy requirements apply (see Program Information Sheet in the application packet).
• Maximum allowable incomes: One person HH AMI $25,800; 2 person HH AMI $29,450
• 20 Apartments are for ESSHI referrals*
The initial application period was from May 15, 2020, to July 13, 2020. All applications had to be received during the initial application period to be included in the lottery. At the end of the initial application period, all applications received were placed in priority order via random lottery in our compliance software program. The lottery was held on July 14, 2020, at 12 Noon at McNiff Commons (401 Powell St, Elmira, NY 14904). To view the live lottery video, click here.
For a complete application package, Program Information Sheet, and list of Tenant Selection Procedures, please click here or on the APPLICATION button.
Application packages can also be picked up at the following locations:
McNiff Commons Apartments (607-271-9460)
401 Powell St
Elmira, NY 14904
Catholic Charities of Chemung/Schuyler (607-734-9784)
215 E Church St
Elmira, NY 14901
Providence Housing Development Corporation (585-529-9555)
1150 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, New York 14624
Providence Housing is a not-for-profit corporation affiliated with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rochester. Providence develops, finances and manages housing for individuals and families in the 12 counties of the Diocese of Rochester.
*Twenty (20) units will be reserved for eligible NYS Empire State Homeless Housing Initiative (ESSHI) residents referred by Catholic Charities of Chemung/Schuyler (CCCS). Residents will be screened and housed according to eligibility and prioritization criteria. CCCS is located at 215 E. Church Street, Elmira, NY 14901, and may be contacted at (607) 734-9784.
NYS Governor Andrew Cuomo
NYS HCR Commissioner RuthAnne Visnauskas